Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here I Come Hart County

For the next several weeks, I will be reporting on health-related matters that effect Hart County in the state of Georgia.

Hartwell, GA is the major city located in Hart County.

The county has one hospital, an interesting fact is that the hospital has more physicians than beds.

The county has two nursing facilities and one personal care home. The hospital and nursing facilities constitute the care offered in Hart County.

The county has a population of approximately 23,000.

I have only been able to gather information, from the reference website. I hope to have more information that my travels to the county will reveal.

5 comments:

  1. Madison County is similar to yours, except it actually has no hospital within the county!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGA has a new community-building enterprise in Hart County; talk with Ilsa Dekker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a population of only 23,000, I guess I can see why Hart only has one hospital. Still, it would be interesting to know what kind of traffic they experience, especially in the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Libby Morris, who I believe is the director of the UGA Institute of Higher Education, is a native of Hartwell and might be a good resource for you (her husband is a retired neurologist in Athens and is also from Hartwell). She and her family are close family friends of my family and I feel sure that she'd be willing to help you out. Her UGA email address is lvmorris@uga.edu
    Here's a press release about her from a couple years ago (it seems she has done her share of research of health related issues in Georgia)...
    http://www.uga.edu/news-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=9&num=5745&printer=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel free to call me at the Hart County Chamber, as I have lot's of data that may be of help - 706-376-8590.

    Michele Dipert
    Hart County Chamber of Commerce

    ReplyDelete