Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Show Me How The Steak Is Made

I never imagined journalism would trigger old calculus courses from college.

In speaking with the Hart County Health Department and the Chief of the Board of Commissioners, I cannot help but hear my old professor saying “Show your work.”

The health department has received drastic funding cuts. In response to these cuts, the health department has cut staff and clinic hours.

Pat Brake, the office manager, is concerned. She fears that the cut in hours will result in more incidences of teen pregnancy and STD infection.

However, I have not yet seen solid evidence that shows a growing trend among infections. Also, the graduation rate for the county has increased 8%.

My gut tells me that dropout rates should increase with pregnancy rates, but it seems that students in Hart County are on the upswing.

I have made two trips to the health department. Both times have been after lunch and both times I have been able to sit and talk with both the office and nurse manager.

I hope that me putting this information out does not encourage them to find things to make them busy, but if the place is being ransacked with new patients, a walk-in interview should not be so simple.

Today I spoke with the County Administrator, Jon Caime. I asked him about how the county decides what is and is not a core county function. He was not able to give me that information, but he was able to tell me that the focus of the commissioners in deciding budget cuts was to maintain what they saw as necessities.

Speaking with the Chief Commissioner, Dan Reyen, I was told that those functions that were designated core functions were things that maintained law and order. EMS, courts, road management, and the like are services that are being maintained by the commissioners.

However, when I asked Reyen if he expected to see in increase in county funds due to the Obama stimulus plan he was unsure specifically how the plan would help his county. Of course the stimulus plan is a hefty piece document, but a vital one; especially for members of government who are suffering from a bare bones economy.

The county commissioner stated that state debt is causing issues at the county level. According to Reyen, the county is now responsible for paying a larger portion of functions that the state use to handle. However, I have not been able to see proof of the state’s forcing counties to be more dependent.

So I plan to press harder with both the commissioners and the health department to show me all the messy details. I have been told that things are difficult and that cuts were necessary; but I need more evidence that the cuts were justified and most efficient.

With the health department, I am not quite ready to say that they are facing a dilemma until they can show me a trend of health problems. I think it will also be important to get in touch with those people who are not able to obtain services because of the department being overbooked.

I cannot be so quick to take the word of others as truth. I will be looking for solid numbers to back up their claims.

1 comment: